Meet Lawrence Zimmerman
A top criminal defense lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia
Lawrence J. Zimmerman was born in Providence, Rhode Island, and grew up in Miami, Florida. He attended the University of Florida, the home of the Florida Gators and graduated in the 1994 with a degree in Political Science. During his tenure at the University Florida, Mr. Zimmerman worked in the office of a local Congressman.
After graduation, Mr. Zimmerman attended the Roger Williams University School of Law in Bristol, Rhode Island. While in law school, Mr. Zimmerman clerked in the Miami-Dade County Public Defender’s Office and in the Providence, Rhode Island Public Defender’s Office.
Upon graduation in 1998, Mr. Zimmerman moved to Atlanta, Georgia to sit for the bar exam. In June of 1999, after working for a local law firm in Marietta for six months, Mr. Zimmerman decided to open his own private practice law firm . He has remained a sole practitioner ever since.
Mr. Zimmerman remains very active in numerous Georgia campaigns including but not limited to the Georgia Supreme Court, both the Cobb County Superior and State Courts and the 2007 Georgia campaign for Lieutenant Governor. In addition, Mr. Zimmerman has held many leadership positions as a longtime member of the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He has been the Educational Committee chair (responsible for the continuing education of fellow lawyers), Computer Committee chair, Regional Vice-President and currently he is the co-chairperson for the Membership Committee. Also, he has provided his time to different charitable organizations including the Cobb County American Cancer Society in which he often serves on the Silent Auction Committee for the Cobb County Swordsman’s Ball.
Classes, Seminars & Engagements
Classes & Seminars Taught
- Chairperson, Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Winter 2001 Seminar
- Chairperson, Georgia Indigent Defense Council Seminar 2001
- Chairperson, Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Fall 2004 Seminar
- Chairperson, Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Winter 2006 Seminar
- Speaker, Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Fall 2006 Seminar on the topic,”Transitioning Your Law Practice from State Criminal Defense to Federal Criminal Defense.”
- Recurrent Speaker, National Rifle Association,”Firearms and Legal Issues in Georgia as it Pertains to Self-Defense and Carrying a Concealed Weapon.”
- Representative Corporate Clients: Simply Freedom Bonding, LLC., Agio Bail Bonds, LLC. and 24/7 Easy Terms.
- Representative Cases: State v. Warren (reversed murder conviction), State v. Rodriguez (1st Georgia case challenging DUI implied consent as it applies to Spanish speaking individuals)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (GACDL)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Cobb County Bar Association
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- 2006 Certification in Defending a Death Penalty Case
- 2006 Certification in the Administration of Field Sobriety Tests